Well, I made it to Sri Lanka!! The flight wasn't that bad - only about 3 and a half hours. Kesh met me at the airport and we travelled into town. I guess the first thing that hit me was the heat! It was like an all embracing hug - very different to Singapore. There didn't seem to be too much traffic, but it still felt at several times that we were either going to hit, or be hit by someone else. As Kesh explained, before you check your mirrors, you have to check your horn first :) Along the roadside about every kilometre, there was an armed guard just watching the traffic and it wasn't until we were almost at the hotel before we were actually stopped and passports checked. Closer to the hotel we were stopped again - will have to remember to have it with me at all times. After I checked in, Kesh left and I had dinner at the hotel - nice veggie burger.
This morning I had breakfast downstairs and then armed with my sunglasses and fab umbrella, headed outside for a bit of a walk. Before I had managed 30m I was stopped several times by people offering tours and wanting to know where I was from (oh, Australia! - World class cricketers!!) before I made it to the Galle Face Green - which incidently is ironic because whilst there is a long patch of grass alongside the beach, you cannot walk on it, or the beach for that matter, nor can you take photos or actually stop (must keep moving at all times) due to security reasons (there is a sign saying to was commissioned in 1856 in the "interest of Ladies and Children"). Again, all the way along the walkway it was patrolled by gun carrying soldiers. The beach wasn't for swimming, however there did seem to be several coconuts that had been swept ashore.
I'm just in an internet cafe having just bought some suplies for my trip that starts tomorrow morning - wish me luck!
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment