Monday, August 3, 2009

Phnom Penh

Well lots have happened in the past month - its hard to believe that it was only four weeks ago that we arrived. I've had two weeks now at work and moved into my place on the weekend just gone. My new address is House 17C, Street 370, BKK1 Phnom Penh and my number is +855 92 953 658. The place is a lovely little two bedroom place that I'm sharing with another Aussie chick called Mel (she did the same volunteering program last year and enjoyed her time so much that she is staying on) with a balcony and I even have an ensuite although the water pressure is none existent at the moment and I think it would almost be better using a bucket! Its situated in between my work and the BKK market so hopefully I'll be able to walk almost everywhere I need to.
For the past 2 weeks I've been staying with 2 girls from my intake - and last week took a moto to work everyday. Have the whole riding side saddle thing down pat. Saw the funniest thing the other day when it was raining - the passenger on the back of the moto actually had her umbrella out sheltering her and the driver...
Work is going well and whilst most people in the office speak English its still taking a while to break down the barriers. They thought it was hilarious on the first day when as I was leaving I said "I'll see you tomorrow" - of course they were going to see me the following day - it was only Monday, when else would I see them.
I did manage to get sick within the first two weeks of arriving which meant a couple of days in bed and a visit to the SOS clinic (doctors clinic recommended by insurance) which thankfully was covered by insurance. But all better now thanks to a dose of antibiotics :)
The survival Khmer lessons that we had in the second week aren't enough to get me through 12 months so have started taking up private lessons but there is still a long way to go before I'll be speaking like a local.
I'm getting used to the traffic and there does seem to be some method to the madness but am in no hurry to get my own bike or moto yet. The other day went out to the airport with one of the girls and saw lots of interesting things like a family of 4 adults and 3 kids on a moto, more than 10 chickens hanging upside down (still alive) from a moto, a van packed with so many boxes and bags it was riding low (they even had 2 layers on top plus the boot open and a make shift contraption which allowed them to stack more boxes until the reached the open boot.) And as we were watching all these sights, a guy in a car actually took a photo of us...
I'm hoping to take some photos soon to show you the place, work etc
There are lots of other things to tell you about but I guess I should get back to work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment